… My heart’s in Accra Ethan Zuckerman’s online home, since 2003

January 17, 2011

Rewire: Rethinking Globalization in an Age of Connection

Filed under: Personal — Ethan @ 6:28 pm

I’m happy to announce that W. W. Norton & Company has agreed to publish my first book, Rewire: Rethinking Globalization in an Age of Connection. Should all go well, I hope to turn in the manuscript late this year for publication some time in 2012. I’m very grateful to my agent, David Miller of The Garamond Agency, for his hard work in helping me bring this book to the world. And I’m greatly looking forward to working with Brendan Curry at Norton.

My book asks whether the internet is leading towards more contact across boundaries of language, nation and culture and, if not, how we could rewire the tools we’ve built to increase international connection. The ideas will be familiar to many of the readers of this blog – the book is a chance to explore ideas like cultural bridging, pervasive translation, structured serendipity and xenophilia at length. For those who haven’t read posts where I’ve talked about those ideas, my TED talk is a good introduction to the ideas I’ll be exploring.

I have high hopes of writing less online and more offline, but won’t stop work on this blog. I would expect to be posting more bookmarks and short pieces and fewer essays, but you never know. And I’m posting extensively on my twitter feed, and will try to update folks on the book’s progress there and here.

16 Comments

1. Congratulations! I can’t wait to read it.

Comment by Tolu Odumosu — January 17, 2011 @ 6:57 pm

2. Congratulations! I look forward very much to reading this when it comes out.

Comment by Tim Hardy — January 17, 2011 @ 8:41 pm

3. Have you ever thought of getting guest writers? You could assign a topic to a guest and discuss a draft or two before posting. I’m too busy in my own work to keep a blog going properly, but when I get the chance I like to guest post for Trevor Hoppe, another thinker in my field.

Comment by Daniel Reeders — January 17, 2011 @ 9:22 pm

4. I am absolutely delighted to hear this! It would be terrific to see a clear distillation and synthesis of our understanding of homophily, xenophily, and how they’re affected by the choices we make about our technical (and other) systems. I’m personally enthusiastic about many of the ways we’re currently restructuring our attention, but worried about some others. I hope you’ll post occasional updates.

Comment by Michael Nielsen — January 17, 2011 @ 10:16 pm

5. Awesome! Can’t wait to read it. Very excited for you.

Comment by Alex Steffen — January 17, 2011 @ 11:17 pm

6. Congratulations and more so for the 2012 publication, go Ethan……

Comment by Eric Osiakwan — January 18, 2011 @ 2:45 am

7. Cool, congratulations!

Comment by Joey Mornin — January 18, 2011 @ 9:56 am

8. That is great news Ethan – very exciting. Congratulations, look forward to it.

Comment by Scot Barenblat — January 18, 2011 @ 6:37 pm

9. This is great! I am hopeful you have some great idea for African countries on the area of technology development and connectivity. Congratulation Ethan.

Comment by henok — January 19, 2011 @ 12:44 pm

10. […] and elsewhere over the past few years. Global Voices other co-founder, Ethan Zuckerman, will also publish a book sometime in 2012 based on issues he has been wrestling with for years on his blog: “The ideas will be familiar […]

Pingback by El Oso » Archive » A Delicious Proposal For An Annotated Web — January 20, 2011 @ 5:08 pm

11. HOOOOOORay!
    I will rest my eyes to be ready to read it.

type quickly.
    xj

Comment by jenny toomey — January 21, 2011 @ 6:01 pm

12. Wonderful to hear about your book happening. So glad your insights will be pulled together in this way and brought to new audiences. Yeah!

Comment by Melissa Ludtke — January 21, 2011 @ 6:03 pm

13. fantastic! looking forward to it!

Comment by Larisa Mann — January 21, 2011 @ 7:03 pm

14. […] Ethan Zuckerman will be publishing his first book link […]

Pingback by Joho the Blog » Berkman Buzz — January 22, 2011 @ 12:14 pm

15. […] some of my readers know, I’m finishing writing a book on cosmopolitanism in a digital age. There’s lots of ways to think about cosmopolitanism; in my case, I’m thinking of the […]

Pingback by …My heart’s in Accra » Linguistic isolation — February 21, 2012 @ 9:51 am

16. […] Rewire: Rethinking Globalization in an Age of Connection Zuckerman […]

Pingback by Ethan Zuckerman on the connected world — June 11, 2013 @ 7:37 am

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Powered by WordPress